We are excited about what God is doing in our Preschool! Throughout the vision process, we heard how people felt the Preschool was a powerful ministry at First Trinity for reaching children and families in our community. We had been praying for God’s direction for the next steps for the school. We thought expansion would be possible for the 2016-2017 year, but God had a quicker timetable!
When registration opened for existing families this year, we immediately filled our 4-year-old program and had five families on a waiting list. These were families that were in our current 3-year-old class, but got locked out because so many families wanted to continue with our preschool. We quickly evaluated what it would take to move forward with expanded class offerings for the 2015-2016 school year. God opened all the doors to make additional classes available, so we followed and started advertising the new openings.
We knew the Preschool could operate in the existing space, but that it would not be ideal. Jon Morris, our architect and faithful church member, created a plan to renovate the Upper Preschool (See below for the designs) to maintain our high-quality space for teaching children about God’s great love for them. The congregation voted on Saturday, May 16 to move forward with the renovation. The new classroom will be upstairs in what currently serves as office and work space. This meant that new office and work space would need to be found for those currently using the cubicle offices. Here’s a summary of location changes to make the expansion possible:
- Susan Brese and Bekah Freed will move to a new office in the Upper Preschool, where the current childcare room is located.
- Childcare will move to the new 2-year-old classroom, where the offices are currently located.
- Kathy Passage, our bookkeeper, will share an office with Tim Hartnett, our Operations Manager. The closets where we currently store choir robes in Grace (the fireplace room) will be walled off from Grace and added to Tim’s office space, allowing room for Kathy Passage.
- The choir robes will be stored in a new location, probably in the loft.
- The tellers (these people meet faithfully to count and deposit all the offerings and other deposits each week) will be relocated to the basement kitchen classroom. A new workspace and storage area in the kitchen will be added to accommodate the move.
- After construction, the Upper Preschool will house the 2- and 3-year-old classes. The Lower Preschool will house both 4-year-old classes.
We will need help preparing the Upper Preschool for construction. We will be having a workday on Saturday, May 30 at 9 a.m. to move everything out for the construction phase. If you are interested in helping, please contact Susan Steege.
We are excited about what God is doing already with our Preschool, and cant wait to see what’s next!